Starting anything new and forming it into a habit may seem like a daunting task. Stop right there! Get rid of the negativity surrounding the idea and get it into your head that you CAN and you WILL change what you want to. You have to alter your beliefs to better suit your goals.
You can start by making a list of things that no longer serve you. This can include negative associations with beliefs, feelings that come up when you think about certain subjects and so on. Then, either on another piece of paper or a side column, counteract your own thoughts and put a positive spin on it. Why do you want to change these things? How will it make you feel when you do?
There are important steps to starting anything new and especially into forming a new habit:
1) Believe. You must believe, against all odds, that you can succeed and achieve your goals. Don’t give into any thoughts that tell you otherwise. If you have to, write it down and throw it away. Or burn it. Only allow positive associations to occupy your thoughts.
2) Control your beliefs. You have to feel your beliefs in its truth and know that you are truly capable. If there are lingering doubts or self-sabotaging thoughts, it’s likely that you won’t see it through.
3) Come up with a plan. Find out what it will take to reach your goals. This can include mind-mapping, jotting down ideas, reading books, doing research. But make sure you don’t spend more time studying about it than implementing it. You will learn what you need to through trail-and-error, so come up with a basic plan and alter it when the time comes.
4) Feel it. Whether you just want to sit and focus on your goals, meditate or go for a walk, find a way that works for you that clears your mind and allows you to tap into how good this achievement will feel. Play it like a movie in your mind: use all your senses to make this picture come to life.
5) Allow change. Because you are on a whole new path, or setting a goal which you’ve never touched before, there are going to be strange things taking place within you. This is good! Only through new thoughts and feelings can change occur. Embrace it.
6) Implement it in your daily life. Whether you have a few minutes or a few hours, if this is precious to you..prove it! If you’re looking to get fit, then leave prepare your work out gear in the morning so you see it first thing when you get home. If you want to eat healthy, write down a weekly meal plan.
7) Be specific (to some extent). Write down the times or dates that you are able to do this and do your best to stick to it. Things fluctuate, plans change but make it a goal to complete what you have committed to in your mind.
8) Be kind to yourself. You’ve made this decision and it’s a good one! Allow positive thoughts to overflow in you and reward yourself (with words, preferably!).
9) Note your progress. Every small step towards your goals is a step in the right direction. What might seem small at first can be vital to the whole picture. Allowing yourself to write down what you’ve already accomplished will increase your desire to do more.
10) (Optional) Tell your loved ones. It’s not uncommon that people make plans in their heads but never end up doing what they set out to. Telling someone, especially someone you respect and love, increases your personal motivation.
Be happy, be kind and be loving. You’ve made this choice, and it’s up to you to see it through. I wish you all the best xxx